Shiri Freda Appleby is an American actress and director. She portrays Liz Parker on the WB sci-fi series Roswell. For the 2019 reboot Roswell, New Mexico, she directed episode 1.09 "Songs About Texas" and the fourth episode of the second season titled "What If God Was One of Us"
Appleby was born and raised in Los Angeles County, California. Her mother is Israeli and of Sephardic-Moroccan Jewish background, and her father is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
Appleby began her acting career at the age of four and guest-starred in various television series' before landing her break-out role in Roswell as Liz Parker. She tried out for the roles of Isabel Evans and Maria DeLuca before landing the leading role of Liz after a screen test with Max Evans's actor Jason Behr.
Appleby notably later starred in the Lifetime series UnReal (2015-2018). In 2016, Appleby directed her first episode of Unreal, titled "Casualty," and she went on to direct multiple episodes of the series.
After the series Roswell, New Mexico was announced, Appleby did an interview with Us Weekly in which she said, "I can’t wait for them to call me to direct an episode." Showrunner Carina Adly MacKenzie saw the interview and called her, and Appleby directed the episode "Songs About Texas." On June 9, 2019, Appleby confirmed that she was invited back to direct the fourth episode of the second season.
- on the Internet Movie Database
- Shiri Appleby on Wikipedia
Articles and interviews:
- Variety: ‘Roswell’ Reunion: Shiri Appleby, Jason Behr and Jason Katims Reminisce at ATX TV Festival. June 8, 2014.
- International Business Times: ‘Roswell’ Reunion: Cast And Creator Reveal Secrets And Share Laughs 15 Years Later. June 9, 2014.
- Us Weekly: Shiri Appleby Talks ‘Roswell’ Reboot: ‘I Can’t Wait to Direct It’ by Emily Longeretta. February 6, 2018.
- Syfy: Roswell Star Shiri Appleby On Why Fans of the Original Should Watch Roswell, New Mexico. January 16, 2019.
- The Hollywood Reporter: Shiri Appleby Returns to ‘Roswell, New Mexico’ as Director. March 18, 2019.
- Hollywood Life: ‘Roswell, New Mexico’: Shiri Appleby On Why She Was ‘So Excited’ To Return As A Director. March 19, 2019.
- Syfy: Shiri Appleby on the Difficulties for Female Directors in Hollywood. March 20, 2019.
- Bustle: How Directing 'Roswell, New Mexico' Helped Shiri Appleby Start A New Career. March 2019.
- ↑ The New York Times: Spotlight; Hey, Everyone's Cool, Teen-Age Aliens Too by Justine Elias. October 31, 1999. Retrieved May 5, 2019. Relevant quote: "Shiri Appleby, the 20-year-old actress who plays Liz, tried out for all three main female roles, not realizing that she was in serious contention until a network screen test with Mr. Behr."
- ↑ Us Weekly: Shiri Appleby Talks ‘Roswell’ Reboot: ‘I Can’t Wait to Direct It’ by Emily Longeretta. February 6, 2018.
- ↑ Tweet from showrunner Carina Adly MacKenzie (@cadlymack): She did an interview with Us Weekly and said she hoped we'd call her to direct, so I called her. February 15, 2019.
- ↑ Tweet by Appleby: I am! I’m going back to Roswell to direct the 4th ep of their second season and I cannot wait!!. June 4, 2019.