The premiere will be mid-season in 2021, presumably around June 2021, although a premiere date has not been announced. After delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic, production is currently anticipated to start around October 2020. MacKenzie was clear that they cannot be back on set "until it's 100% safe for everyone on the crew".
Filming will begin in mid-October 2020.
An official synopsis was released on May 14, 2020:
In season three, still reeling from the events of last year, the Roswell aliens and their allies are drawn back together through a threat from a familiar stranger and a murder that has not yet happened. From near and from far, amidst breakups, reunions, scientific advancements and the impending death of someone they hold dear, our heroes must grapple with two central questions: Who enters our lives and defines who we are? And what power do we really have over our own futures? ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO stars Jeanine Mason, Nathan Dean, Michael Vlamis, Lily Cowles, Tyler Blackburn, Heather Hemmens, Michael Trevino, Trevor St. John and Amber Midthunder. ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO is from Amblin Entertainment, My So-Called Company and Bender Brown Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, with executive producers Carina Adly MacKenzie (“The Originals”), Christopher Hollier (“Once Upon A Time”), Julie Plec (“The Vampire Diaries”), Darryl Frank, Justin Falvey (“The Americans”), Lawrence Bender (“Pulp Fiction”) and Kevin Kelly Brown (“Roswell”).
Cast and characters Edit
Recurring guest stars returning from previous seasons:
Recurring guest stars introduced in season three:
- TBA as Heath
Non-recurring guest stars:
Co-stars returning from previous seasons:
Non-recurring co-stars of named characters:
The season is anticipated to have 13 episodes.
Hints and anticipated story-lines Edit
This section documents all hints from official sources about what may be included in season 3 and the show's development.
- The season will acknowledge that COVID-19 happened, but will time-skip past the quarantine period.
- MacKenzie pitched the possibility of the show taking place during quarantine, but her bosses didn't like the idea.
- New COVID-19 safety restrictions on set might limit or prevent certain elements from being in the show.
- Intimacy scenes, such as hugging or kissing, might be limited.
- Fight scenes might be limited.
- Scenes with a number of extras might no longer be allowed, such as scenes with customers at the Wild Pony or the Crashdown Cafe.
- Out-of-town guest stars might be reduced or eliminated. This could impact recurring guest stars as well, such as Sherri Saum who portrays Mimi DeLuca.
- In regards to the extra costs with these safety measures, Carina Adly MacKenzie stated that it would likely be "a hit to the quality of the product" rather than "a hit to the profits. We’ll make it safe first... then do our best with the money that’s left."
- In regards to not allowing actors to kiss, Carina Adly MacKenzie shared one way they considered handling it: "We had a writer pitch, well what if the aliens are getting stronger and now every time they touch anyone, the person comes away with like an alien handprint on them. We were like, okay, maybe that's how we prevent these two people from kissing for an entire season because you can't touch her because she'll start to glow." (Note that this was just a possibility, not a confirmed story element.)
- In regards to not being able to pack extras in enclosed spaces such as the Crashdown and the Wild Pony, Carina Adly MacKenzie shared a possible way they might handle that: "Our diner will be take-out only. Our bar will have shut down, because they couldn't sustain through the quarantine." (Note that this was just a possibility, not a confirmed story element.)
- Isobel's next love interest will be with a woman.
- A new character named Heath will be introduced: "He’s a guy. American. Around 30."
- About Jones:
- "Mr. Jones is going to be a major player moving forward, and he might be a little different than what he seems. He really has been in season 2 presented as the villain, but we’re going to learn in season 3 that the story of Nora and Louise might be the story that they wanted told. So, we’re having some fun with unreliable narrators".
- "Obviously, Mr. Jones is related in some way to Max, so we are going to dig into what Max's family history looks like. We're also going to discover in season three that the story that we heard about Nora and Louise may have been the story that they wanted to tell, so our tale about Mr. Jones, even though he seems like a threatening figure right now, is a little more complicated right now."
- "The insights that he gives the aliens into where they come from and why they're here is going to put interesting new pressure on Michael, Max, and Isobel and take their relationships to a very different space. He's not necessarily the villain, and all three of our aliens are going to have different expectations, different perspectives on whether or not they can trust him."
- "[Max] really felt adrift, and he discovered that he was sort of the only one who didn't have information about his family, and Jones comes with a whole lot of information about Max's family."
- Liz "will definitely meet some new and interesting people while she's away." "We'll do a bit of a time jump within season three, and Liz will of course be drawn back to Roswell when she gets some new information, but her time in California is going to be really important and really transformative for her." "Liz's romantic life is always going to be at odds with her ambition, and she's gonna have to find a way to reconcile both of those things."
- One of the cast members will direct this season.
- Max will play guitar.
- On January 7, 2020, The CW gave Roswell, New Mexico an early renewal along with 12 other series.
- On May 14, 2020 The CW revealed that their TV season will not start until January 2021 as a result of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
- Several shows were announced to come back, but Roswell, New Mexico was not among them. Thus, its filming schedule, premiere date and episode order remain unknown at this time. 
Promotional images Edit
- Main article: Season 3 (2019)/Gallery