A premiere date has not been announced, but it is planned for mid-season premiere in 2021. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is unknown when production will start, and showrunner Carina Adly MacKenzie was clear that they cannot be back on set "until it's 100% safe for everyone on the crew".
An official synopsis was released on May 14, 2020:
In season three, still reeling from the events of last year, the Roswell aliens and their allies are drawn back together through a threat from a familiar stranger and a murder that has not yet happened. From near and from far, amidst breakups, reunions, scientific advancements and the impending death of someone they hold dear, our heroes must grapple with two central questions: Who enters our lives and defines who we are? And what power do we really have over our own futures? ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO stars Jeanine Mason, Nathan Dean, Michael Vlamis, Lily Cowles, Tyler Blackburn, Heather Hemmens, Michael Trevino, Trevor St. John and Amber Midthunder. ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO is from Amblin Entertainment, My So-Called Company and Bender Brown Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, with executive producers Carina Adly MacKenzie (“The Originals”), Christopher Hollier (“Once Upon A Time”), Julie Plec (“The Vampire Diaries”), Darryl Frank, Justin Falvey (“The Americans”), Lawrence Bender (“Pulp Fiction”) and Kevin Kelly Brown (“Roswell”).
Cast and characters Edit
Recurring guest stars returning from previous seasons:
Recurring guest stars introduced in season three:
- TBA as Heath
Non-recurring guest stars:
Co-stars returning from previous seasons:
Non-recurring co-stars of named characters:
The season is anticipated to have 13 episodes.
Hints and anticipated story-lines Edit
This section documents all hints from official sources about what may be included in season 3.
- The season will time-skip past the COVID-19 pandemic.
- New COVID-19 safety restrictions on set might limit or prevent certain elements from being in the show.
- Intimacy scenes, such as kissing, might be limited.
- Fight scenes might be limited.
- Scenes with a number of extras might no longer be allowed, such as scenes with customers at the Wild Pony or the Crashdown Cafe.
- Out-of-town guest stars might be reduced or eliminated. This could impact recurring guest stars as well, such as Sherri Saum who portrays Mimi DeLuca.
- In regards to the extra costs with these safety measures, Carina Adly MacKenzie stated that it would likely be "a hit to the quality of the product" rather than "a hit to the profits. We’ll make it safe first... then do our best with the money that’s left."
- Isobel's next love interest will be with a woman.
- A new character named Heath will be introduced: "He’s a guy. American. Around 30."
- "Mr. Jones is going to be a major player moving forward, and he might be a little different than what he seems. He really has been in season 2 presented as the villain, but we’re going to learn in season 3 that the story of Nora and Louise might be the story that they wanted told. So, we’re having some fun with unreliable narrators".
- One of the cast members will direct this season.
- On January 7, 2020, The CW gave Roswell, New Mexico an early renewal along with 12 other series.
- On May 14, 2020 The CW revealed that their TV season will not start until January 2021 as a result of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
- Several shows were announced to come back, but Roswell, New Mexico was not among them. Thus, its filming schedule, premiere date and episode order remain unknown at this time. 
Promotional images Edit
- Main article: Season 3 (2019)/Gallery
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 CW Renews Riverdale, Batwoman, Roswell, Black Lightning Plus 9 Others - TVLine
- ↑ Tweet from showrunner Carina Adly MacKenzie, in response to a fan asking how many episodes season 3 will have: "13 episodes is a full season for us."
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The CW Press (official press site): HE CW NETWORK TO LAUNCH ITS NEW SEASON IN JANUARY 2021
- ↑ Instagram Live Q&A on May 9, 2020.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Showrunner Carina Adly MacKenzie asked on Twitter on May 5, 2020 for fans to suggest a new character's name: Got a new Roswell character to name. He’s a guy. American. Around 30. Every name I come up with turns out to be the name of some other CW character. Help! In an Instagram Live Q&A on May 9, 2020, she revealed that the name she selected was Heath.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Fans, prepare yourselves for a very weird year of television. Jun 12, 2020.
- ↑ A fan asked Carina Adly MacKenzie, "Oooh, does that mean more Mimi too?", and MacKenzie responded: Hopefully. Waiting to find out if we're going to be asked to reduce or eliminate out-of-town guest stars. June 17, 2020.
- ↑ More likely a hit to the quality of the product than a hit to the profits. We’ll make it safe first... then do our best with the money that’s left. June 13, 2020.
- ↑ The next romantic relationship we'll see Isobel in on the show is with a woman. April 24, 2020.
- ↑ Nerdist: ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO Creator on Tackling Important Issues by Linda Maleh. June 18, 2020.
- ↑ Video interview: Carina MacKenzie "An Actor Despairs" Interview July 2, 2020. At about the 55:10 mark.
- ↑ https://tvline.com/2020/05/14/the-cw-fall-lineup-2020-schedule-delayed-superman-and-lois/