Season 2 of The CW television series Roswell, New Mexico premiered on March 16, 2020 and finished airing on June 15, 2020. It aired Monday nights at 9:00 pm on The CW. Season two of Roswell, New Mexico became available for streaming in the US on Netflix as of June 23rd, 2020.
Official synopsis for Roswell, New Mexico season 2:
Once again, an Ortecho sister with a sharp tongue and a chip on her shoulder is back in Roswell after ten years gone… and she’s about to discover she’s been serving mint chip milkshakes to intergalactic aliens all her life. In the final moments of season one, Max Evans used his alien powers to resurrect Rosa a decade after her murder… not realizing that he was sacrificing his own life in the process. In season two, Liz mourns her lost love by seeking comfort in science, both earthly and extraterrestrial, as Rosa turns to Kyle to help her find her place in the unfamiliar territory of 2019. In their grief, Isobel explores potentially dangerous methods of self-defense, and Michael spirals into some old bad habits, putting his relationships with Maria and Alex at risk. Finally, our heroes must make a deal with Jesse Manes for information after a friend seems to vanish into thin air… and the apparent “alien abduction” brings new small-town secrets to light.
Official synopsis from press site:
A year ago, Roswell native Liz Ortecho (Jeanine Mason) reluctantly returned to her tourist-trap hometown and reconnected with her teen crush Max Evans (Nathan Dean), who unbeknownst to her, had been harboring a shocking secret: he is an alien. In the final moments of Season 1, Max used his alien powers to resurrect Liz’s sister Rosa (Amber Midthunder), a decade after her murder... not realizing that he was sacrificing his own life in the process. In Season 2, Liz mourns her lost love by seeking comfort in science, both earthly and extraterrestrial, as Rosa turns to Kyle (Michael Trevino) to help her find her place in the unfamiliar territory of 2019. In their grief, Isobel (Lily Cowles) explores potentially dangerous methods of self-defense, and Michael (Michael Vlamis) spirals into some old bad habits, putting his relationships with Maria (Heather Hemmens) and Alex (Tyler Blackburn) at risk. Finally, after a friend suddenly goes missing, our heroes seek help from an unlikely source: Jesse Manes (Trevor St. John) -- who has experienced a change of heart after a medical emergency.
Cast and characters Edit
Recurring guest stars returning from season one:
Recurring guest stars introduced in season two:
- Cassandra Jean Amell as Louise Truman
- Justina Adorno as Steph
- Jason Behr as Tripp Manes
- Gaius Charles as Roy Bronson
- Christian Antidormi as Forrest
- Nicholas Ballas as Sanders
- Major Dodge Jr. as Walt (also credited as a co-star)
- Cleo Anthony as Diego
- Bertila Damas as Helena Ortecho
- Jamie Clayton as Agent Charlie Cameron
- Tanner Novlan as Gregory Manes
- Marcel Nahapetian as young Max
Non-recurring guest stars:
Co-stars returning from season one:
- Chelsea Edmundson as Lindsay
- Annacheska Brown as Nurse Kate
- Jason Coviello as Harlan Manes
- Ryan Begay as Wolf
Recurring co-stars introduced in season two:
- La'Charles Trask as Bert
- Greg Farinelli as Deputy Joe
- Morse Bicknell as Agent Chad Hinkle
- Giancarlo Beltran as Javier
Non-recurring co-stars of named characters:
- Tait Fletcher as Gus
- Juan Mendoza Solis as Hector Valenti
- Rebekah Patton as Holly
- Vic Browder as Mr. Gibbons
- Zach Rose as Harlan Manes
- Mitchell Hoog as Young Jesse Manes
- David Baca as Young Arturo Ortecho
- Richard Lippert as Old Harlan Manes
- Ewan Simpson as Young Max
- William Edward Spinelli as Young Michael
- Mia Wagenman as Young Isobel
- Staci Robbins as Nadine
- Greg Lutz as Mayor Bernhardt
- Dawn Lura Ferguson as Doli
- Lauren Letherer as Doctor Griffin
- Marky Evans as Miguel
- Nathaniel Auguston as Agent Smith
- Gigi Erneta as Dr. Margot Meyerson
|14||1||Stay (I Missed You)||Mar 16, 2020||Lance Anderson||Carina Adly MacKenzie|
Torn between the heartache of Max’s sacrifice and the joy of Rosa’s resurrection, Liz suppresses her grief to focus on moving out of Roswell with Rosa. Meanwhile, Michael copes with Max’s death in his own self-destructive way, while Isobel focuses her attention on honing her alien powers. Finally, Liz makes an alarming discovery after Rosa begins experiencing mysterious side effects from her resurrection.
|15||2||Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space||Mar 23, 2020||Lance Anderson||Eva McKenna|
Liz is forced to put her latest experiment on hold after Rosa begins to struggle with her new life in Roswell. Reluctant to face the truth about his mother’s past, Michael turns his attention to helping Maria, who is dealing with her own family crisis. Elsewhere, Isobel agrees to join her mother for a day of spiritual healing to keep herself distracted. Finally, Rosa turns to Kyle to learn the truth about what really happened the night she died.
|16||3||Good Mother||Mar 30, 2020||Jeffrey Hunt||Deirdre Mangan & Carina Adly MacKenzie|
Determined to regain control of her life in the aftermath of Noah’s death, Isobel makes a risky choice despite its potential consequences. Meanwhile, Alex and Michael work together to unravel the mystery surrounding the night Nora’s spaceship crashed in 1947. Elsewhere, Liz makes a surprising confession when Cameron shows up looking for answers about Max.
|17||4||What If God Was One of Us||Apr 6, 2020||Shiri Appleby||Steve Stringer & Christopher Hollier|
On the verge of a breakthrough in her quest to save Max, Liz turns to Kyle for one last favor that could potentially land him in hot water. Meanwhile, Michael and Alex’s investigation into Nora leads them to a farm, where they meet a historian named Forrest. Elsewhere, Cameron confronts Jesse Manes about her sister’s whereabouts, and Isobel uses her powers for good.
|18||5||I'll Stand By You||Apr 13, 2020||Kimberly McCullough||Alanna Bennett & Jason Gavin|
The discovery of some complications with Max’s pod forces Liz, Michael, and Isobel to confront the possibility that they may not be able to save him. Elsewhere, Maria and Alex make amends.
|19||6||Sex and Candy||April 20, 2020||Geoff Shotz||Rick Montano & Vincent Ingrao|
Maria’s investigation into her mother’s disappearance leads her and Alex to the home of a mysterious boot maker named Travis. Meanwhile, on her journey of self-discovery, Isobel’s night out leads her into the arms of someone unexpected. Finally, after making some major scientific strides, Liz is dealt a devastating blow.
|20||7||Como La Flor||April 27, 2020||Barbara Brown||Danny Tolli & Carolina Rivera|
Liz is forced to revisit a painful part of her past when her mother Helena shows up at the diner unexpectedly. Michael urges Maria to seek help after she experiences a strange vision, and Kyle’s attempt to get Steph to open up doesn’t go as planned. Finally, Helena’s arrival in Roswell sends Rosa spiraling.
|21||8||Say It Ain't So||May 4, 2020||Rachel Raimist||Eva McKenna & Christopher Hollier|
Despite promising Liz that he'll take things easy with his new heart, Max sets out to find Cameron after learning that she's gone missing. Michael grows concerned about Maria after a surprising discovery about her family history leaves her vulnerable. Elsewhere, ready to move on, Alex goes on a date with Forrest, and Rosa makes a decision about her future.
|22||9||The Diner||May 11, 2020||Aisha Tyler||Steve Stringer, Alanna Bennett, Carina Adly MacKenzie|
After uncovering a surprising connection to their past, Michael and Isobel learn the painful truth about the night Tripp attacked their mothers. Meanwhile, Alex confronts his father about their troubled family history. Elsewhere, Kyle's first date with Steph takes an awkward turn after Liz inadvertently becomes a third wheel.
|23||10||American Woman||May 18, 2020||Marcus Stokes||Rick Montano & Vincent Ingrao and Jason Gavin|
SECRETS OF THE PAST — After uncovering a cryptic message from the past, Alex, Isobel, Max, Michael and Maria set out in search of answers at the reservation where Alex’s mother grew up. Meanwhile, Cameron encourages Liz to reach out to someone from her past after Arturo gets detained.
|24||11||Linger||June 1, 2020||Franklin Vallette||Ariana Quiñónez & Deirdre Mangan|
SECRETS AND LIES - Driven by the prospects of her scientific research, Liz opens up to Diego about all the good her findings could do. Meanwhile, Max enlists Kyle's help getting to the bottom of the recent abductions, while Michael does his own investigating into Alex's disappearance. Elsewhere, after learning more about her mother Louise, Isobel pays a visit to Rosa, in hopes that Rosa could help her begin to heal.
|25||12||Crash Into Me||June 8, 2020||Joanna Kerns||Danny Tolli & Carolina Rivera|
WELCOME TO CRASHCON — As the town prepares for CrashCon, Liz and Max attempt to piece together who may be behind a potentially deadly plan targeting the festival. Elsewhere, Maria and Isobel take drastic measure to learn more about the night Mimi disappeared, while Michael is forced to do someone else’s bidding.
|26||13||Mr. Jones||June 15, 2020||Jeffrey Hunt||Christopher Hollier & Carina Adly MacKenzie|
|SEASON FINALE — Having realized that a deadly threat has infiltrated CrashCon, the busiest event of the year, Liz realizes that she can’t save everyone she loves — and with Max facing immediate danger, she and Isobel must make a heart-wrenching choice. Meanwhile, Michael finds himself caught up in the conflict between Jesse and Alex once again, even as Maria’s life hangs in the balance elsewhere, and Kyle faces a moral dilemma when the enemy requires medical attention.|
- On April 2019, Amber Midthunder, who played Liz's older sister Rosa in a recurring capacity in the first season, was promoted to the main cast for the second season.
- On November 8, 2019, The CW unveiled its midseason schedule, and revealed that the series would return for its sophomore season on Monday, March 16, 2020 at 9 pm, following a fresh episode of Supernatural in its new time slot.
- On January 5,2020, Carina decided to provide some small spoiler of what is to come this season. Amongst them being:
- Helena Ortecho, Liz's mom, comes to town for a family dinner.
- There will be a Halloween themed episode.
- There will be a flashback to a 21st birthday party.
- Carina has been a huge fan of Madison McLaughlin due to her appearances on Arrow & Supernatural. So she texted her in the middle of the night begging her to appear in this season of Roswell, New Mexico. But they had never met.
- One character who identifies as straight at the beginning of the season does not identify as straight at the end of the season.
- On January 7, 2020, roughly two months before the premiere of this season, the CW renewed the series for a third season.
- On March 12, 2020 Carina responded to a tweet by a fan asking for the premiere date, and confirmed that the season premiere was still March 16, 2020, but that releasing a promotional trailer was out of her control.
- On March 23, 2020, Carina revealed in a tweet that they've delivered up through episode 9 to The CW.
- The rest of the episodes still have some VFX and sound work to do, but amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, they’re finding ways for people to do that from home.
- She goes onto say that she hopes that The CW chooses to air them as scheduled.
- On March 24, 2020, it was revealed in a press release from the CW that effective March 30, 2020, the lead-in for Roswell Season 2 is Whose Line Is It Anyway? since Supernatural will not be airing new episodes until further notice.
- On April 14, 2020 Carina confirmed that all Season 2 episodes would air, and they weren't affected by the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic for this season.
- On April 16, 2020 Carina revealed that Fiona Apple had emailed her completely out of the blue last year (i.e. 2019) to tell her that she could use Criminal in a Roswell episode..
- Shortly thereafter Chris Mollere, the music supervisor for the show also confirmed that it had been decided that it was too short of a feature for the song and they have held off to have it in the series until they can find a truly amazing spot for her gorgeous song!
- On April 20, 2020, Carina revealed in a tweet some photos from the Sex & Candy episode.
- On May 12, 2020, Carina responded to a tweet asking if they are allowed to take lines from the OG Roswell TV series, and Carina mentioned that they actually took a line from it to use in this episode. 
- When Season 2 was renewed, they were not given an exact episode count, and Carina Adly MacKenzie did not know if they would have thirteen or sixteen episodes until after she turned in episode eleven.
For the last season of Roswell, season two, they never told us how many episodes they were ordering for us. They were going back and forth between thirteen episodes and sixteen episodes the whole season, and it wasn't until I had turned in episode eleven that they said, 'yeah it's just thirteen.'
I couldn't plan for either of them because if I had been planning for [...] sixteen episodes, and then they suddenly cut it short, then I have too much to pack into the stories, which is kind of what ended up happening. But if I had planned for only thirteen, and then they had extended it by three, my characters would have looked dumb, because all the clues would have been there to solve the mystery, and they still have to wait three more episodes to solve it. So I was going back and forth between those two things all season and it was really hard.
Promotional images Edit
- Main article: Season 2 (2019)/Gallery