Roswell, New Mexico is an American television drama series, developed by Carina Adly MacKenzie for The CW, which was premiered for the mid-season entry during the 2018–19 season on January 15, 2019. The series is the second television adaptation of the Roswell High book series by Melinda Metz and is a re-imagining of The WB/UPN drama series Roswell (1999–2002).
After returning to her hometown of Roswell, New Mexico, the daughter of undocumented immigrants discovers her teenage crush is an alien who has kept his unearthly abilities hidden his entire life. She protects his secret as the two reconnect, but when a violent attack points to a greater alien presence on Earth, the politics of fear and hatred threaten to expose him.
- Jeanine Mason as Liz Ortecho, a jaded biomedical researcher and the daughter of undocumented immigrants.
- Nathan Parsons as Max Evans, a natural born leader and dedicated Roswell police officer who has kept his true identity a secret for years.
- Lily Cowles as Isobel Evans, an alien who keeps her true identity a secret by living her life with grace and enthusiasm.
- Michael Vlamis as Michael Guerin, a troubled but brilliant alien who survived a traumatic childhood and is trying to find a way to escape Earth.
- Tyler Blackburn as Sgt. Alex Manes, a military veteran with his fair share of physical and psychological trauma. Alex prepares to abandon his dream and the possibility of a future with the man he loves to succumb to his father's expectations.
- Michael Trevino as Kyle Valenti, the son of the town sherriff, who learns about horrible things that have happened in his family's past.
- Heather Hemmens as Maria DeLuca, Liz's former best friend, who is a socialite and oblivious to the existence of aliens.
- Trevor St. John as Jesse Manes, Alex's father and a man with a secret to hide.
- Karan Oberoi as Noah Bracken, Isobel's charming, devoted husband who senses a secret in his wife.
- Rosa Arredondo as Sheriff Valenti
- Carlos Compean as Arturo Ortecho
- Riley Voelkel as Jenna Cameron
- Amber Midthunder as Rosa Ortecho
- Sherri Saum as Mimi DeLuca
- Claudia Black as Ann Evans
- Dylan McTee as Wyatt Long
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired (U.S. dates)|
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||13||January 15, 2019||2019|
|Images||No. in season||Title||Air Date||Director||Writer|
|1||Pilot||January 15, 2019||Julie Plec||Carina Adly MacKenzie|
|When Liz Ortecho reluctantly returns to her tourist-trap hometown of Roswell, New Mexico, she reconnects with Max Evans her teenage crush, who is now a Roswell police officer. But Liz soon discovers a shocking truth: Max is an alien who has kept his unearthly abilities hidden his entire life, along with those of his otherworldly sister, Isobel and their friend Michael. Elsewhere, Master Sergeant Jesse Manes spearheads a long-standing government conspiracy — unbeknownst to his son, Alex Manes who has recently returned from service overseas with emotional and physical injuries. The politics of fear and hatred that run rampant in Roswell threaten to expose Max and his family and could endanger his deepening romance with Liz…as well as their lives.|
|2||So Much For the Afterglow||January 22, 2019||Tim Andrew||Eva McKenna & Carina Adly MacKenzie|
|The anniversary of Rosa's death reignites tensions as the town takes aim at Liz and her father, Auturo for what happened on that fateful day 10 years ago. Meanwhile, Max confronts Michael and Isobel who are concerned that his feelings for Liz will expose their secret. Elsewhere, Master Sergeant Manes' attempt to convince Kyle of the alien conspiracy in Roswell takes an unexpected turn. Finally, Liz and Kyle make a shocking revelation about Rosa's death.|
|3||Tearin Up My Heart||January 29, 2019||Geoff Shotz||Rick Montano & Vincent Ingrao|
|After uncovering some unsettling information about Max, Liz runs a series of tests to see what his powers may be capable of. Michael and Isobel take matters into their own hands after learning that Liz may be getting too close to Max. Liz enlists Maria's help as she goes on a scavenger hunt across Roswell to uncover more about Rosa's final days.|
|4||Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?||February 5, 2019||Lance Anderson||Chris Hollier & Sabir Pirzada|
|Fearing that his identity will be uncovered, Max is conflicted when a town-wide power outage leaves patients at the hospital in need of help. Meanwhile, Liz turns to Kyle after learning details about the night Rosa died. Elsewhere, Isobel and Michael come up with a plan to deal with Liz, and Master Sargent Manes seeks help from an unlikely source.|
|5||Don't Speak||February 12, 2019||Jeffrey Hunt||Adam Lash & Cori Uchida|
|Max and Michael begin to worry about Isobel after a series of mysterious blackouts cause her to spiral. Liz turns to Grant Green for help when she learns that he may have witnessed something strange on the night Rosa died. Meanwhile, Kyle and Alex uncover a secret that Kyle's father had been keeping from everyone.|
|6||Smells Like Teen Spirit||February 26, 2019||Tim Andrew||Eva McKenna & Carina Adly MacKenzie|
|In a series of flashbacks to 2008, secrets are uncovered about Rosa's final day, Isobel's mysterious blackouts, and Alex and Michael's relationship in high school.|
|7||I Saw the Sign||2019||Paul Wesley||Miguel Nolla & Chris Hollier|
|8||Barely Breathing||2019||Rubba Nada||TBA|
|9||Songs About Texas||2019||Shiri Appleby||Sabir Pirzada & Carina Adly MacKenzie|
In January 2018, The CW ordered the show to pilot, with Julie Plec set to direct. Production companies involved with the pilot include Amblin Entertainment, Bender Brown Productions, CBS Television Studios and Warner Bros. Television. The CW ordered the show to series on May 11, 2018.
On February 16, 2018, Jeanine Mason was cast in the lead role of Liz Ortecho. In early March, the rest of the cast was filled out, with Nathan Parsons, Lily Cowles, Michael Vlamis, Tyler Blackburn, Heather Hemmens and Michael Trevino joining as Max, Isobel, Alex Manes, Maria and Kyle Valenti, respectively, with Karan Oberoi being cast in the final series regular role of Noah Bracken on March 27, 2018. Trevor St. John was cast in a recurring role as Alex's father on March 12, 2018.
Filming for the pilot took place in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Santa Fe, New Mexico. Production on the pilot begin on March 14, 2018, and ended on March 30, 2018.
The rest of the episodes will begin filming on August 13, 2018 and will take place in Las Vegas, New Mexico and Santa Fe, New Mexico.
The series holds an approval rating of 55% based on 11 reviews, with an average rating of 4.55/10 on Rotten Tomatoes. Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the series a score of 58 out of 100 based on 13 critics.
- The series was already picked up for The CW on May 11, 2018.
- It was originally produced by Regency Television and 20th Century Fox Television and switch to CBS TV Studios and Warner Bros. Television for the reboot.
- Main article: Roswell, New Mexico/Gallery