- This page is for the 2019 TV series character. For the 1999 TV series character, see Isabel Evans. For the book series character, see Isabel Evans (books).
- "Everything I do is a cover-up. I don't know how to feel about my husband because I don't know how he feels about me. Because he doesn't know me because I don't know me, because everything I do is an act."
Isobel Evans-Bracken is one of the main characters on The CW science fiction series Roswell, New Mexico. She is an alien but keeps her true identity secret by living her life full of grace and enthusiasm. Isobel is portrayed by Lily Cowles.
Character[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
In 1997, Isobel awoke from her pod along with Max and Michael. The three of them were found walking down the road. At the group home at the approximate age of 7, she and Max were adopted by the Evans couple, while Michael was left behind in foster care. She and Max were raised as twins, but they both still considered Michael to be their brother.
In 2004 at the approximate age of 13 or 14, Isobel, Max, and Michael went camping for their birthday. Isobel was attacked by a drifter, who Max ended up killing in self-defense. Michael used his telekinesis to bury the body. Isobel was traumatized from the attack and began to have blackouts.
In 2008, Isobel formed a relationship with Rosa Ortecho, which Isobel was only aware of during her blackout moments. In June 2008, for unknown reasons, Isobel killed Kate Long and Jasmine Frederick before killing Rosa. Since Isobel was blacked out at the time, she didn't realize she had done it, so Michael took the blame to protect her. Isobel, Michael, and Max covered up the deaths as a car accident.
After high school, Isobel met and later married Noah Bracken. She has never told Noah the truth about herself, which has caused strain in their relationship.
In Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, Isobel steals a syringe from Liz and decides to terminate her pregnancy in order to be free of Noah's manipulation for good.
Powers[edit | edit source]
- "It's a place where I have ultimate power. I make a suggestion and someone else's thought or memory just kind of floats to the surface. If I'm strong enough, I can change it. Influence it."
- ―Isobel describing her powers[src]
Isobel is alien with paranormal abilities whose specialty seems to be mental manipulation. Isobel enters a person's mind and is able to control/manipulate a thought or memory, allowing her to influence others.
- Mental Manipulation: Isobel is able to enter the minds of others and experience and "influence" their thoughts.
- Mind influence: When Isobel enters a person's mind, she is able to influence them into doing what she wants. This power is not mind control, just influence, since she can't make someone do something that they wouldn't be open to doing anyway.
- Empathy: When Isobel is inside of a person's mind, she experiences and feels their emotions as if she were them. This stopped her from mind-warping Liz since she could feel Liz's love for Max herself and couldn't bring herself to go through with it.
- Memory viewing: While in someone's mind, Isobel can get them to show her their memories of past events. While mind-influencing Maria, she has her to show Isobel the memory of why she hates her.
- Psychic Communication: Isobel and Max are able to communicate telepathically and sense each other, due to their siblinghood as twins. When she was fourteen, Isobel also used this ability to release a psychic scream that alerted a weakened Noah.
- Telekinesis: Isobel now has the ability to use her minds to move objects. She first uses this to destroy a photograph of her with Noah Bracken. She has enough strength to shatter glass and hold back fire, and she has the reaction timing to deflect an object unexpectedly thrown at her.
- Electromagnetic manipulation: With training, Isobel developed her abilities with electromagnetic manipulation. She can deflect an electromagnetic lightning-like blast from Max, and she can use her ability to power a light bulb. Like with Max and Rosa, Isobel can blow out electrical appliances when she's emotional or startled, although she seems to have gotten this under control.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Isobel Evans-Bracken/Gallery
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|Roswell, New Mexico||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11||12||13|
|Season 1 episodes||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Season 2 episodes||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Season 3 episodes|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Isobel had kept her secret from her husband for many years.
- Although unknown to her and the others at the time. He was always aware of her secret even before they meted due to being an alien too.
- Isobel likes the movie The Land Before Time.
- In the Roswell High books, Isobel’s name is spelled “Isabel.” She is straight and romantically involved with Alex. She and Maria have no relation to each other.
- Regarding changing Isobel's name from Isabel, showrunner Carina Adly MacKenzie said:
- Isabel is the Spanish spelling, and the most common in Mexico. I didn't want the Evans parents to have Spanish or Latinx roots. Isobel is the Scottish spelling, and Evans is Welsh.
- Basically I wanted Isobel to be super white because white privilege is a factor in her character.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
"Safety is so easy to take for granted. Especially when you grow up loved, cherished, protected. Safety is a feeling you only value once it's been stripped from you. When someone you trust spills your secrets. When someone invades your home. Or when you're a little girl staring at the stars in the desert one night, and the Devil tries to drag you into hell. Or, worse when the thing that makes you unsafe isn't an invader at all. What do you do when the evil you fear is inside your own mind? When there may be no way to kill it without killing yourself." — Isobel's narration in Barely Breathing.
"You know, what I really want to do today here is to tell you about someone, who I love very much. He was a man with an unrivaled capacity for love, who could hold you in his heart… despite distance or rejection. He made mistakes, but he was noble. And he dedicated his life to righting his own wrongs, and the wrongs of others. My wrongs. He was my other half. My better half. I don’t think I’ll ever let him go." — Isobel on her brother Max at Noah's funeral in Stay (I Missed You).