- This page is for the 2019 TV series character. For the 1999 TV series character, see Isabel Evans. For the book series character, see Isabel Evans (books).
- "Everything I do is a cover-up. I don't know how to feel about my husband because I don't know how he feels about me. Because he doesn't know me because I don't know me, because everything I do is an act."
Isobel Evans-Bracken is one of the main characters on The CW science fiction series Roswell, New Mexico. She is an alien but keeps her true identity secret by living her life full of grace and enthusiasm. Isobel is portrayed by Lily Cowles.
In 1997, Isobel awoke from her pod along with Max and Michael. The three of them were found walking down the road. At the group home at the approximate age of 7, she and Max were adopted by the Evans couple, while Michael was left behind in foster care. She and Max were raised as twins, but they both still considered Michael to be their brother.
In 2004 at the approximate age of 13 or 14, Isobel, Max, and Michael went camping for their birthday. Isobel was attacked by a drifter, who Max ended up killing in self-defense. Michael used his telekinesis to bury the body. Isobel was traumatized from the attack and began to have blackouts.
In 2008, Isobel formed a relationship with Rosa Ortecho, which Isobel was only aware of during her blackout moments. In June 2008, for unknown reasons, Isobel killed Kate Long and Jasmine Frederick before killing Rosa. Since Isobel was blacked out at the time, she didn't realize she had done it, so Michael took the blame to protect her. Isobel, Michael, and Max covered up the deaths as a car accident.
After high school, Isobel met and later married Noah Bracken. She has never told Noah the truth about herself, which has caused strain in their relationship.
In Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, Isobel steals a syringe from Liz and decides to terminate her pregnancy in order to be free of Noah's manipulation for good.
- "It's a place where I have ultimate power. I make a suggestion and someone else's thought or memory just kind of floats to the surface. If I'm strong enough, I can change it. Influence it."
- ―Isobel describing her powers[src]
- Mental Manipulation: Isobel is able to enter the minds of others and manipulate their thoughts.
- Mind Warp: When Isobel enters a person's mind, she is able to warp a person's thoughts and manipulate them into doing what she wants. She is able to warp multiple people's thoughts at once. She has stated that this power is not mind control since she can only influence one's thoughts, meaning she can't make someone do something that they wouldn't already do.
- Empathy: When Isobel is inside of a person's mind, she experiences and feels their emotions as if she were them. This stopped her from mind-warping Liz since she could feel Liz's love for Max herself and couldn't bring herself to go through with it.
- Memory Reading: Isobel can mind-warp a person into allowing her to read their memories. She experiences the memories as if she is there herself. While mind-warping Maria, she ordered her to show Isobel the reason why she hates her.
- Psychic Communication: Isobel and Max are able to communicate telepathically and sense each other, due to their siblinghood as twins. When she was fourteen, Isobel also used this ability to release a psychic scream that alerted a weakened Noah.
- Telekinesis: Isobel can use her mind to disrupt objects like a picture of her and Noah Bracken & her to make it explode with her mind.
|Roswell, New Mexico||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11||12||13|
|Season 1 episodes||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Season 2 episodes||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
- Isobel has been keeping her secret from her husband for many years.
- Isobel likes the movie The Land Before Time.
- Regarding changing Isobel's name from Isabel, showrunner Carina Adly MacKenzie said:
- Isabel is the Spanish spelling, and the most common in Mexico. I didn't want the Evans parents to have Spanish or Latinx roots. Isobel is the Scottish spelling, and Evans is Welsh.
- Basically I wanted Isobel to be super white because white privilege is a factor in her character.
"Safety is so easy to take for granted. Especially when you grow up loved, cherished, protected. Safety is a feeling you only value once it's been stripped from you. When someone you trust spills your secrets. When someone invades your home. Or when you're a little girl staring at the stars in the desert one night, and the Devil tries to drag you into hell. Or, worse when the thing that makes you unsafe isn't an invader at all. What do you do when the evil you fear is inside your own mind? When there may be no way to kill it without killing yourself." — Isobel's narration in Barely Breathing.
"You know, what I really want to do today here is to tell you about someone, who I love very much. He was a man with an unrivaled capacity for love, who could hold you in his heart… despite distance or rejection. He made mistakes, but he was noble. And he dedicated his life to righting his own wrongs, and the wrongs of others. My wrongs. He was my other half. My better half. I don’t think I’ll ever let him go." — Isobel on her brother Max at Noah's funeral in Stay (I Missed You).